What's the male/female student ratio?

While it changes each year, the current student body at RMCAD is 63 percent female and 37 percent male.

Where are most of RMCAD’s students originally from?

Approximately 72 percent of our on-campus and hybrid students are from the state of Colorado. Of those enrolled from out of state, the majority hails from Texas and Illinois. On the other hand, when it comes to our online degree programs, the majority of students are based across the US—even internationally—with only 24 percent living in Colorado. Our out-of-state online students hail from across the country, with the majority attending from Texas, Florida, California and Washington.

What is the student-teacher ratio and what is the average class size?

The student-to-faculty ratio is 7:1, and the average class size is eight students.

How do RMCAD students spend their time outside of class?

When they're not devoting time toward art and design projects, many students work nearby, and most spend their free time enjoying the cultural and recreational opportunities that abound in Denver.

How many students are enrolled in each major?

For the Fall 2012 term, on-campus and hybrid enrollment was as follows: Animation (70), Art Education (26), Fine Arts (96), Game Art (42), Graphic Design (82), Illustration (147), Interior Design (41), and non-degree-seeking/undeclared majors (22). Online enrollment was as follows: Animation (30), Design Strategy + Innovation MA (21), Education, Leadership + Emerging Technologies MA (15), Graphic Design (53), Illustration (61), and Interior Design (59).

How old is the average RMCAD student?

The average of on-campus students is 23 years old. Our average online student age is 30.

How many of your students graduate?

The current graduation rate is 49 percent for full-time students.

What is RMCAD's retention rate?

IPEDS defines retention as the percentage of first-time bachelors (or equivalent) degree-seeking undergraduates from the previous fall who are again enrolled in the current fall. The retention rate for the 2011-2012 cohort by this definition is 59%.

Where do your students live?

Many of our first-time students live at The Regency, about 10 minutes from campus. The Regency houses RMCAD students as well as those attending classes at Metro, CCD and CU-Denver. Other students choose to live in a variety of nearby apartments, or with relatives or friends in the greater Denver Metro area.

What if I have a learning disability?

Students that have been admitted to RMCAD may request reasonable academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To request accommodations, students should self-identify to the Student Disability Services Coordinator, John Meister, by phone (303-335-9937) or by email: We determine accommodations individually based upon request of the student, supporting documentation showing evidence of current impact, and reasonable accommodations in the post-secondary environment.

Who should I talk to if I have a complaint?

Student Success Advisors are available to answer questions and field concerns. If you feel that your complaint cannot be handled internally, click here for a list of resources in all 50 states.

Where can I find more information about the student body?

For more detailed information about our student demographics, click here.

Enrollment and Orientation Questions

How many students are currently enrolled?

As of Spring 2017, there are 760 students enrolled at RMCAD (373 on-campus/hybrid, 387 online).

What kind of new student orientation program do you have?

We host on-campus and online orientations at the beginning of each term to help students get to know each other and become familiar with the RMCAD campus and our policies/procedures. For more information, visit our Orientation Page.

What kind of laptop should I buy?

All the hardware and software you will need varies by degree program. Visit the Technology Requirements page for more information.

What measures have been taken to ensure campus safety?

Our staff of professional security guards patrols the campus to ensure a safe and secure environment. RMCAD also provides security lighting around campus; strategically placed call boxes; and frequent presentations on personal safety. As indicated by our Campus Safety Report, we have very little crime on campus.

How easy is it to change majors?

It’s fairly easy to change majors within your first 30 credits (the typical freshman year course load), so if you find yourself drawn to an area of study beyond your initial major, you’ll have the ability to switch.

Will credits earned at other schools transfer to RMCAD?

Courses taken at a regionally accredited school, such as RMCAD, are far more likely to be accepted as transfer courses, than are courses from a school that is not regionally accredited. For further information about transferring, visit our Transfer Overview page, and contact an Admissions Counselor to have your transcripts evaluated.

Billing Questions

When is tuition due?

Tuition is due in full at the start of the term. Payment is due on the first day of the month in which classes start. So, for a new student enrolling in the Fall 2013 term, you must have your complete RMCAD payment plan agreement in place, or tuition paid in full by August 1, 2013.

What is a RMCAD payment plan?

For a fee of $25 per term, RMCAD offers a four-month payment plan, allowing you to split up your tuition incrementally. For example, if you were to sign up in the fall, your tuition would be billed in four equal installments in September, October, November and December, helping to ease the financial burden. Please make payments by cash, check, or credit card; visit or call Student Accounts at 303.567.7285 to sign up.

Do I still need to pay if I'm expecting financial aid?

If you've been awarded a RMCAD scholarship (Academic, Artistic, Presidential + Provost, Community, or RMCAD Grant), the amount of that award will be deducted from your tuition billing statement(s). Other financial aid, such as federal grants and loans, will also be applied as credits to your account, but only if you've completed all of your financial aid paperwork well in advance of when your first bill is issued. If you have not completed your financial aid paperwork at the time tuition is due, your account may be subject to late fees and interest charges.

Will financial aid completely cover the cost of attendance?

No. Generous scholarships are available through the Admissions Office, but most students still find themselves with a gap that is not covered by financial aid. You should apply early for both admissions and financial aid to determine your actual gap.

Why am I being charged for health insurance?

If you're enrolled in nine or more credits, you'll automatically be enrolled in the College-sponsored health insurance plan unless you have other coverage (e.g., if you are on a parent's or spouse's plan). If you are covered on another plan, you must submit a waiver form as well as a copy of your insurance card to Heather Russ, Student Accounts, in order to avoid being charged for health insurance.

Are there any lab fees or other fees in addition to my tuition?

No, RMCAD's tuition is all-inclusive. No additional fees are due upon enrollment, other than late charges and/or service charges. You may, however, be assessed a materials fee for certain classes and/or fees related to the use of campus printers.

Is there a fee to park on campus?

No, parking is free and is available on a first-come, first-served basis each day. If you park in the wrong location or do not display a valid parking hang tag on your rear view mirror or dashboard, however, you may receive a parking ticket. Parking violations left unpaid will eventually be assessed to your student account.

Does tuition cover my books and supplies?

Books and supplies are not included in your tuition charge. You can view the required books you'll need to purchase for your courses here. Supplies may be purchased in our campus Supply Store, at a Denver art supply store, or online.

Can I set up a charge account at the RMCAD Supply Store?

Yes, you may set up a pre-paid Supply Store account through the Student Accounts Coordinator (office located on the 3rd floor of Texas Building). You can open this account and/or add money to it at any time throughout the term.

Can I charge Underground Café purchases to my student account?

Yes. You can purchase a punch card (in $20 denominations) in the Supply Store that can be applied to your student store account.

Health Insurance Questions

The information below was compiled for the 2010-2011 academic year. Visit the Health Requirements page for more information.

Do I need to have health insurance to enroll at RMCAD?

Yes. If you're an on-campus student enrolled in nine or more credits, you'll automatically be enrolled in the College-sponsored plan unless you have other coverage (e.g., you're on your parent’s or spouse’s plan). If you are covered on another plan, you must submit an online waiver form. Visit to waive or enroll in the college-sponsored plan. You must submit the waiver by the deadline each year to prevent automatic enrollment in the college-sponsored plan. We'll send you a reminder about this via your RMCAD e-mail account each spring and summer.

RMCAD does not require online students to carry health insurance. Likewise, online students are not eligible for the college-sponsored health insurance plan.

What's the cost for the college-sponsored plan?

For the 2010-2011 academic year, the yearly plan was $1,924. The charges ($962 per term) will be included on your fall and spring tuition bills. The charge on your fall term tuition bill covers your insurance premium for the fall term, while the charge on your spring term tuition bill covers your insurance premium for both the spring and summer academic terms.

What type of insurance plan does the College sponsor?

The College’s health insurance plan for students is a PPO plan, administered by Collegiate Insurance Resources (a division of USI Affinity), with a $100 annual deductible. Students must remain enrolled in nine or more credits (during the fall and spring terms only) to remain eligible for coverage. Students who are insured in the spring term have continued coverage over the summer months.

If I’m enrolled in the college-sponsored plan, when will I receive my ID card?

An ID card will be sent to the mailing address that RMCAD has on file near the start of your first term of enrollment.

What if I lose my insurance card?

It’s a good idea to carry the ID card with you, since you never know when you might have an emergency. If you lose your card, please see Heather Russ in Student Accounts for assistance in acquiring another one.

What if I need to see a doctor?

If you need to see a doctor, make an appointment with any doctor within the Private Healthcare Systems PPO network directly. You can search by zip code throughout the United States. Just present your insurance ID card at the time of treatment and pay your $30 copay directly to the provider. Expect to receive an invoice for 20 percent of the services rendered during the visit, plus the deductible amount of $100 if you have not yet met the deductible that academic year. Please note the $500 maximum benefit for preventative care within the academic year, and note that limitations apply to covered preventative services. Refer to the plan brochure (available for complete coverage details. Heather Russ, Student Accounts, is also available to assist you with finding a doctor in the area.

What if I have a medical emergency?

If you experience a true life- or limb-threatening emergency, go to the emergency room or call for paramedics and get the treatment that you need. Present your insurance ID card, and expect to receive an invoice for 20 percent of the services rendered at the ER, plus the deductible amount of $100 if you have not yet met the deductible that academic year. The nearest hospital to the RMCAD campus is St. Anthony’s, located at 11600 W. 2nd Drive, Lakewood (just off of Union and Alameda).

Am I covered while I am away from school?

Yes, coverage is the same anywhere in the US.

Is dental or vision care covered?

No, but a separate discount plan is available for dental and vision. Students interested in this discount plan must purchase the plan directly from the insurance carrier.

What if I need to see a counselor?

The College offers free counseling services for all students, regardless of insurance. In fact, these on-campus visits with a Licensed Professional Counselor are independent of your insurance plan altogether, so deductibles and copayments do not apply. However, should you need to meet with a mental health provider off campus, you may make an appointment directly with any provider within the Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS) PPO network You can search by zip code throughout the US. Simply present your insurance ID card at the time of service, and expect to receive an invoice for 50 percent of the services rendered during the visit, plus the deductible amount of $100 if you have not yet met the deductible that academic year. Please note the $5,000 maximum benefit for outpatient mental healthcare within the policy year. If you require inpatient mental healthcare, this will be insured in the same manner that hospitalization is covered.

How do I fill a prescription?

Bring your prescription to one of the following major pharmacies: King Soopers, Target, Walgreens, or Wal-Mart (many pharmacies are within walking distance of the campus). Present your insurance ID card and pay the applicable copay to the pharmacy directly. Note that it’s to your advantage to consider generic formulas of most prescription medications. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about generic options for the medications that you need. Also please note the $3,000 maximum benefit for prescription medications within the policy year; once this cap has been met, the insurance company will no longer cover prescription medications.

Where can I find answers to other health insurance questions?

Contact Heather Russ in Student Accounts for assistance or questions about the plan (303.567.7285).